Collaborative Product Strategy: How UX Can Influence Product Decisions
Collaborative Product Strategy: How UX Can Influence Product Decisions · Monday, November 2 · 8:30am – 5:30pm · Pacific E
Become part of the product strategy conversation by contributing UX perspectives. Learn structured processes for product strategy, priorities, and roadmaps.
Plan UX research to support business and product decisions. Apply UX techniques to communicate your product roadmap and priorities.
The Day’s Agenda
In the Morning
Delve into the life of a product manager
- Immerse yourself in the PM role to understand their priorities, pressures, and constraints
- Translate the company vision and business goals into a strategic roadmap
- Identify product opportunities to successfully achieve business and user goals
Develop a product strategy and roadmap
- Write a high-level action plan to achieve your company vision
- Pinpoint features to improve your product and delight users
- Organize your roadmap into benefit-oriented, problem-solving themes, not features
In the Afternoon
Vet and refine your roadmap
- Present a compelling roadmap guaranteed to impress your senior leadership
- Adjust your priorities based on common constraints and curveballs
- Say “no” to misguided feature requests and roadmap changes
Bring it all together
- Establish your game plan for a successful roadmap rollout
- Anticipate common product management challenges and tackle them with ease
- Ensure your team’s UX activities influence product strategy
Influence Product Strategy
Influence your product team’s decisions
If you’re stuck in execution mode and constantly fighting fires, you’ll see how to become an indispensible part of strategic product discussions.
Focus on roadmap themes and value
All too often, roadmaps get mired in features, not the underlying problems that need fixing. The most successful roadmaps emphasize broad themes that tackle user and business challenges.
Rally your organization around the roadmap
A product roadmap is a powerful communication tool that gets everyone on the cross-functional team pulling in the same direction.
You’ll learn how to…
- Create roadmaps that inspire and focus your stakeholders
- Adjust your roadmap when hit with unpredictable constraints
- Hold conversations with PMs that influence product direction
- Understand the PM mindset to achieve strategic wins
- Validate the roadmap with solid user research
- Learn proven processes for choosing the right product priorities
Grow Your Product Strategy Toolkit
Create a 60-second business case for product opportunities
Conduct a quick ROI calculation for any idea and compare it to alternatives. You'll have a powerful technique for prioritizing what opportunities will best achieve your business goals.
Manage stakeholder expectations with benefit-oriented themes
By stating the problems you will solve instead of the features you'll deliver, you can successfully communicate product priorities while maintaining flexibility in the roadmap.
Create a strategy document and roadmap for your product
Produce a compelling and persuasive roadmap aligned with your company vision, business needs, and user goals.
Speak the language of your product managers
Get hands-on, working with teams who want to solve the same problems.
Collaborative Product Strategy: How UX Can Influence Product Decisions,
On Tuesday, Bruce McCarthy presents Curing Shiny Object Syndrome: Prioritization Best Practices.
There are 3 other options on Monday
Get all 9 talks for just $99
Don’t wait. The price goes up January 24.